Programme Leader, BA (Hons) in Digital Media
Leader, Creativity and Design Education Laboratory
PhD (HK PolyU), MBA (Leicester), MA (Leicester), Adv. Dip (HKAPA), AES
Henry has been participated in a number of research projects and high‐end consultancy projects. Recently, he focuses on research of Design Thinking for non-design disciplines, Personal traits of Design Thinkers, Creativity and Teaching for Creativity.
His current and completed research projects include:
Selected Research Projects
- Principle Investigator: A study of implementing blended learning in Design Education, School of Design, 2017 (HK$282,000)
- Principle Investigator: Initial studies for proposed research projects in Creativity and Design Education Laboratory, Lab Research Enhancement Fund, 2015 (HK$292,000)
- Principle Investigator: Developing project based eLearning strategy and model in School of Design, eLearning and Blended Learning Development Grants, 2014 (HK$1 Million)
- Principle Investigator: Game Based Learning, SD School Board Chairman Reserve Fund, 2008 (HK$450,000)
- Deputy Project Coordinator: Architecture to Enable Technologies and Efficient Methodologies for Facilitating Game Content Creation and Application Authoring on MMOG Platform, Innovation Technology Fund, 2008 (HK$ 3.1 Million)
- Project Member: Assessment of Programme Outcomes by Capstone Project at School of Design, 2008
-Project Leader, Virtual Hotel, eLearning Development & Support Section, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, 2007 (HK$ 2 Million)
- Project Leader: Game Programming and Content Development of Construction Site - Charles' Console Exhibit, Occupational Safety and Health Council, 2007 (HK$ 1.6 Million)
- Principle Investigator: A Study on Management of Creativity in the Contextual Concerns of Creative Industries, Departmental General Research Funds, 2007 (HK$98,000)
- Deputy Project Coordinator: Platform to Simulate Populous Scenes with Heterogeneous Behavioral Human Character Motions Driven by Libraries of High Quality Motion Captured Data, Innovation Technology Fund, 2006 (HK$ 969,000)
- Deputy Project Leader: Production of 'Infrastructure for Augmented Reality Platform' of 'Construction Site - Charles' Console Exhibit' for the Occupational Safety and Health Gallery III in the Hong Kong Science Museum, Occupational Safety and Health Council, 2006 (HK$ 2.75 Million)
- Deputy Project Coordinator: Automatic Music Arrangement System: Games and Interactive Applications, Innovation Technology Fund, 2004 (HK$ 3.167 Million)
Selected Refereed Publications
- Chan, Y. K. and Ma, H. (2018) “The Perceived Effective Motivation Methods in China’s Creative Industries: The Managerial Perspective”, Asia Pacific Journal of Business and Social Studies. Vol. 4 Issue 1. DOI 10.25275/apjabssv4i1ss11
- OH, J. and Ma, H. (2018) “Enhancing Visitor Experience of Theme Park Attractions: Focusing on Animation and Narrative”, Journal of Advanced Research in Dynamical & Control Systems. Vol. 10 Issue 4: pp. 178–185.
- Ma, H. (2016) So, What is Creativity? Animation Students and Teachers' Conception of Creativity in China in Design Education in China: Fostering Creativity and Innovation in Emerging Nations. Eds. Siu, K. W. and Contreras, J. G. IGI Global.
- Ma, H. and Chan, A. (2016) Fostering Creative Culture in Education for Open Sources Innovation in Blue Book of Culture and Technology. Eds. Yue, P. and Lee, F. L.
- Ma, H. (2016) “A Study of Blended Learning Strategies for Project Based Studies”, Asia Pacific Institute of Advanced Research. Vol. 1, Issue 1: pp. 50- 57.
- Ma, H. (2016) “Past and Future: The Development of Animation Education in China”, International Journal of Psychology and Counselling. Vol. 8 Issue 2: pp.13-17.
- Ma, H. and Chan, A. (2016) “Study of Students’ Perception of Project-based Learning”, International Conference on Education, Psychology, and Social Sciences.
- Ma, H. (2016) “Influence of Intrinsic Motivation on Questioning Assumptions and Sensible Risks-Taking Behaviors in Engineering Education”, Asia-Pacific Symposium on Social Science and Management. pp. 604-611.
- Ma, H. (2015) “Teaching for Creativity: A Study of Nurturing Students’ Creativity in China”, Annual Symposium on Management and Social Sciences. pp. 492-500.
- Ma, H. (2015) “Meaning of Creativity: A Study of Teachers and Students’ Conception of Creativity in Higher Education”, International Symposium on Business and Social Sciences. pp. 374-382.
- Ma, H. (2014) “The Necessary Elements for the Youth in Developing Creative Industries”, Journal of Youth Studies. Vol. 17 Issue 2: pp.3-10.
- Ma, H. (2014) “A Case Study of Game Based Approach for Process Design Learning”, The International Journal of Design Education. Vol. 7 Issue 1: pp.23-27
- Ma, H. (2014) “A Study on Creativity in the Contextual Concern of Creative Industries”, International Conference on Cultural Creative Industry and e-Business. pp. 84-91.
- Ma, H. (2013) “The Opportunities and Challenges of Youth Startup in Creative Industries”, Journal of Youth Studies. Vol. 16 Issue 1: pp.3-11.
- Ma, H. (2013) “The Cultural and Creative Industries Development in China”, 2013 Annual Conference on Management and Social Science. pp. 168-174.
- Ma, H. (2013) “A Study of Creative Problem Solving Behavior of Design Students”, The International Journal of Pedagogy and Curriculum. Vol. 19 Issue 4: pp.63-69.
- Ma, H. and Gungying, Wu, G. (2013) “A Fusion of Local Culture and Global Event–A Case Study of the 2008 Olympic Mascot Design”, The International Journal of Visual Design. Vol. 6 Issue 4: pp.55-59
- Ma, H. (2011) “Management of Creativity in the Contextual Concerns of Creative Industries”, Design Principles & Practices: An International Journal. Vol. 5 Issue 4: pp.377-383.
- Ma, H. (2007) “New Media Research Tradition – from Traditional Media to New Media”, 融合与创新 -- 现代传媒发展高峰论坛. pp. 133-138.
- Penfold, P. and Ma, H. (2007) “Developing a virtual environment for teaching hotel management students”, International Association for development of the information society. 194-199.
- Lau, N. and Ma, H. (2007) “Reconstructing motion data for evaluation in Design Process”, International Association of Societies of Design Research.
- Xin, X., Ma, H and Vogel, C. (2007) “Motion Capture as a User Research Tool in ‘Dynamic Ergonomics’”, International Association of Societies of Design Research.
- Ma, H. (2007) “Different dimensions of creativity: Defining creative industries”, Conference on When Creative Industries Crossover with Cities. pp. 160-164.
- Ma, H. (2006) “Strategic concerns of sustainable development on commercialization of technology in universities: a Hong Kong perspective”, International Association for Management of Technology.
Keynote and Seminar Presentation
- Keynote Speech: “How Design Thinking facilitates Innovative Development in Industrial Design”. Qingdao Industrial Design Association (Qingdao), 2018.
- Invited Seminar Presentation: “Demystify Design Thinking”. College of Art and Design, Zhejiang University of Technology, 2018.
- Invited Seminar Presentation: “Opportunities of Innovative Development–Qingdao”. Qingdao Industrial Design Association (Qingdao), 2017.
- Invited Seminar Presentation: “Creative Thinking–The Necessary Element of Innovation”. Peking University (Beijing), 2017.
- Invited Seminar Presentation: “Innovative Design of the Future”. Department of Industrial Design, Tsinghua University (Beijing), 2017.
- Keynote Speech: “Teaching for Creativity–Fostering Creativity in Education”. International Conference on Education (Miri, Malaysia), 2016.
- Invited Workshop Presentation: “How to Nurture Creative Thinking”. Institute of Teacher Education Campus Sarawak, Miri (Malaysia), 2016.
- Invited Seminar Presentation: “The Impact of Higher Education: Addressing the challenges of the 21st century”. International Conference on Education Psychology and Society (Tokyo), 2016.
- Keynote Speech: “Teaching for Creativity: The Necessary Elements for Fostering Creativity in Education”, The 4th International Symposium on Education. Psychology and Social Sciences (Osaka), 2016.
- Invited Seminar Paper: “Creative Culture–Motivation in Open Sources Innovation”, Cultural and Technological Innovation Symposium (Shenzhen), 2015.
- Keynote Speech: “Fostering Creativity in New Media Education”, 2014 New Art Festival, Shanghai Conservatory of Music (Shanghai), 2014.
- Invited Seminar Presentation: “How to Nurture Creativity”, School of Art, Zhejiang University of Technology (Hangzhou), 2014.
- Invited Seminar Presentation: “The Professional Skills for Audio Broadcasting”, Radio Television Hong Kong (Hong Kong), 2013.
- Keynote Speech: “Nurturing Students’ Creative Development”, The First China Animation Art Symposium (Ningbo), 2011.
- Keynote Speech: “From Arts and Science to Manage of Creativity–The Future Development of Digital Media”, Arts and Science–International Symposium of Digital Arts (Beijing), 2010.
- Keynote Speech: “Real or Unreal, the Aesthetics of Animation Sound”, The 2010 International Conference on Animation Education, Tsinghua University (Beijing), 2010.
- Keynote Speech: “New Media Art–a merge of Art and Science”, Directors of New Media Art Forum (Beijing), 2007.
- Invited Seminar Presentation: “Multimedia–Art and Science of Creativity”, Tianjin Academy of Fine Arts (Tianjin), 2007.
- Invited Seminar Presentation: “Beyond Animation - A Study of Creative Industry and Managing Creativity”, Communication University of China (Beijing), 2007.
- Invited Seminar Presentation: “A survey on the Animation and Visual Effects Industry of Hong Kong”, International Animation Education Association (Beijing), 2006.
Dr. Henry Ma currently serves as Associate Dean and Leader of the Creativity and Design Education Lab of School of Design, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Dr. Ma is also Guest Professor of the School of Animation, Beijing Film Academy and Guest Professor of the College of Art and Design, Zhejiang University of Technology. He obtained the 1st Hong Kong Digital Entertainment Industry Person of the Year Award (Digital Entertainment Education Category) and the Creative Industry Leader Award in China in 2007 and 2012 respectively. With his active participation in the creative media industry, he has been involved in the design and production of stage, film and TV projects.
Dr. Ma graduated from the School of Technical Arts of The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts, received his MBA from School of Management of the University of Leicester, MA (Mass Communication) from the Centre for Mass Communication Research of the University of Leicester and obtained his PhD from School of Design, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Dr. Ma is a member of the Audio Engineering Society, Honorary Advisor of the Hong Kong ACM SIGGRAPH Professional Chapter and Vice‐Chairman (Education) of the Hong Kong Digital Entertainment Association. With his substantial experiences in the industry, he served as panel members of the Hong Kong ICT Awards, the Hong Kong Film Award, the Hong Kong Independent Short Film and Video Award, the Hong Kong Digital Entertainment Excellence Award, and the Project Grants distributed by the Hong Kong Arts Development Council, Film and Media Arts Committee. Dr. Ma has been participated in a number of research projects and high‐end consultancy projects. Recently, he focuses on research of Design Thinking for non-design disciplines, Personal traits of Design Thinkers, Creativity and Teaching for Creativity.