PhD Application Procedures
Take English Language Exam (If applicable).
For applicants who do not have a degree for which English was the language of instruction at a recognized university, please spare enough time to take the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
For details, please visit here.
(a) Explore and familiar yourself with our PhD programme and research areas to help you identify your research interest(s).
- For current PhD research, please visit here.
- For SD research themes and eligible Chief Supervisors, please visit here.
(c) Approach the proposed chief supervisors and discuss your research interest(s).
(d) Prepare scanned copies of supporting documents:
- Academic Certificates
- Transcripts for Undergraduate and/or Postgraduate Studies
- English Language Exam (if applicable)
(e) Prepare research proposal using form RDC/1A.
For details, please visit here.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply the PhD programme via the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS). Please follow the steps below:
Apply for HKPFS via PolyU
- Before submitting an online application to PolyU via eAdmission, you should file an initial application to the RGC via the HKPFS Electronic System to obtain a reference number before noon on 1 December (HKT 12:00 noon GMT +8 hours).
All late applications will not be accepted for consideration for the HKPFS.
Sign up the PolyU online application system eAdmission.
Please sign up an eAdmission account here.
(a) Provide your current email address in your online application. Check your emails regularly and keep up to date with your application status via eAdmission.
(b) If you have not met the admission requirements when you apply to PolyU, please indicate the date when your academic qualifications and/or English language test scores will become available in your online application.
(c) If you have not yet graduated and cannot provide a final result certificate when submitting your online application, please update the relevant sections of the online application form and upload the document(s) indicating your latest results once they are available.
Fill in all required information and settle the application fee before the application deadline.
- Once you have signed up an eAdmission account, please follow the instructions to fill in all required information and settle the application fee before 2 December (HKT 11:59 p.m. GMT + 8 hours).
- The application fee for admission to research postgraduate programmes is HK$300. This fee is non-refundable and non-transferrable. You must settle the application fee upon submission of your online application. Otherwise, your application will not be further processed. You are advised to use Visa or MasterCard to do so. Please click here to view the details of available payment methods.
Please note that other than the specified application fee, you are not required to pay any additional fees to any persons in connection with your online application.
Upload Supporting Documents and Provide Academic References via eAdmission before the application deadline.
- In addition to uploading scanned copies of the required certificate(s) and transcript(s) in support of the qualifications and results stated in your online application, you will need to upload all of the supporting documents specifically required for the programme to which you are applying.
- Failure to upload the supporting documents may affect your likelihood of admission or prolong the application process. If these documents are not in English or Chinese, you must provide officially translated documents in English; otherwise, your application may not be considered. For details of the supporting documents, please visit here.
Provide Academic References.
- In the eAdmission system, you must invite two academics who are familiar with your academic performance and achievements to complete online academic referee's reports BEFORE the application deadline.
- After you have submitted your online application, a system-generated email invitation will be sent to your referees inviting them to complete an online academic referee's report. Please provide complete and accurate information on your referees, including their email addresses, in your online application.
- In order to give enough time for your referees to complete the online academic referee’s reports before the application deadline, applicants are advised to submit your application AT LEAST A WEEK BEFORE the application deadline.
Confirm Application Submission.
- An application number will be assigned to you and shown on your online application once you have successfully submitted your application. Please make sure that you write down your application number somewhere safe. You will need it in future correspondence with us.
- Please proofread your input and uploaded documents thoroughly before submission. Any errors or incorrect information provided in your online application may cause delays in processing your application or lead to the rejection of your application.
Check Application Status and Result.
- Admission offers for September entry will normally be made between February and May. You may log in to eAdmission to check your application status (e.g., notification of interview/test and admission offer) at any time. If you are given an offer or a conditional offer of admission, you will receive an email notification and a Notice of Offer via eAdmission.
- If you wish to check the progress of your application, you may directly approach the academic department concerned. Please click here for the contact details of the relevant academic departments.
Accept the Admission Offer.
(1) Accept Admission Offer and Settle Registration Fee
Confirm your acceptance and pay a registration fee of HK$5,000 (subject to view) before the payment deadline specified in the online Notice of Offer via eAdmission.
(2) Apply for Student Visa (for Non-local Students)
Submit your completed visa application form (ID995A) with all of the required supporting documents to PolyU within 10 working days of the issuance date of the offer or conditional offer of admission. The guidelines for applying for a student visa can be downloaded from the online Notice of Offer.
(3) Send Documents to Verify Your Qualifications
Send official proof of all of the qualifications (except those obtained from PolyU) stated in your online application to PolyU for verification. All official documents must be sent directly by the issuing authorities to PolyU and received before you register at PolyU in August. Please note that the official documents submitted will not be returned.
Official Proof of Qualifications (Undergraduate and Postgraduate Studies)
Arrange for certified copies of your degree certificate(s)/diploma(s) and final official transcript(s) to be sent by the issuing authority in a sealed and signed envelope directly to PolyU. The envelope should be signed and stamped by the Registrar or by an authorised official of your university. Every final official transcript should include the final grade or classification and date of award.
* Certified copies of degree certificates/diplomas should have original stamps and be duly certified by the Registrar or by an authorised official of your university.
Score Report for GMAT, GRE, IELTS or TOEFL
Arrange for your official score report to be sent directly by the test provider to PolyU.
(4) Fulfil Admission Conditions (for Conditional Admission Offer Holders)
Fulfil the condition(s) that have been applied to your offer. These may include satisfying academic conditions and providing English language test scores and/or degree results. To fulfil the condition(s) of your offer, you must upload the official documentary proof of your final degree results and/or English language test score report and update the final degree results and/or English test scores via eAdmission before the deadline specified in the online Notice of Offer. The sooner you can fulfil your condition(s), the better.
(5) Register at PolyU
Complete online programme registration in August for September entry or in early January for January entry and prove your identity (you will need to bring your Hong Kong Identity Card or passport/travel document with a valid and activated student visa or other visa/permit) upon collection of your student card on/before the study commencement date. Please note that you may proceed with your online programme registration once you have fulfilled the condition(s) for admission and your qualifications have been verified.
(6) Read Student Handbook
All regulations and procedures relating to the study of Doctor of Philosophy and Master of Philosophy degrees are listed in the Research Student Handbook. Please click here to view and download the Handbook. It is important for you to read through the Research Student Handbook and make sure that you understand the regulations and procedures stipulated by the University.
Please click HERE for programme information.
Should you have any questions, feel free to contact us.