This programme adopts the motto of “content is king” wherein “idea will always lead execution”. It trains content designers by giving them the necessary tools to compete in the world of digital media and digital entertainment. Given intellectual property is a significant source for economic growth, having that winning idea means a chance of being placed in a commanding position.
Aims and objectives
The programme aims to produce idea driven content designers regardless of their disciplines. It rights the paradigm of confusing creativity based on ideas with fabrication based on technical know-how. With this in mind, students are also taught the necessary technical, entrepreneurial and analytical skills in order to become self-learning and self-enabling for the successful execution a given creative idea.
We facilitate personal growth in students through self-discovery, self-discipline, self-analysis and self-learning. We encourage independent thinking, successful positioning and inventive creation through contextual awareness, imagination, collaboration and knowledge application.
The programme is a top-up degree. It focuses on non-interactive content creation by way of strengthen basic technical skills in video production and animation in the first year. In the second year, emphasis is placed on shifting the paradigm to think not so much in terms of technical skills but in terms of creating ideas to drive those skills. Students will be placed in real projects, providing real creative media solutions to real clients. Students will also be focusing on developing and executing their capstone project within the second year.
General University Requirements (9 credits)
• Cluster-Area Requirements subject 1 (3 credits)
• Cluster-Area Requirements subject 2 (3 credits)
• Service Learning (3 credits)
• Language and Communication Requirements (LCR)*
Discipline-Specific Requirements - Compulsory (49 credits)
• SD3961 Applied Media Aesthetics (2 credits)
• SD3965 Sound Design (2 credits)
• SD3967 Character Design (3 credits)
• SD3968 Creative Process Design (2 credits)
• SD3969 Storytelling (3 credits)
• SD4961 Entrepreneurship for Content Designers (3 credits)
• SD4962 Digital Media Studio I - Digital Video Production (6 credits)
• SD4963 Digital Media Studio II - Animation (6 credits)
• SD4964 Co-operative Project (6 credits)
• SD4971 Capstone Project 1: Digital Media (3 credits)
• SD4972 Capstone Project 2: Digital Media (9 credits)
• ELC3823 Professional English for Digital Media Design Students (2 credits)
• CBS4272P Professional Communication in Chinese for Design Students (2 credits)
Discipline-Specific Requirements – 2 Electives (6 credits)
• SD4967 Advanced Animation (3 credits)
• SD4969 Advanced Visual Effects (3 credits)
• SD4970 Advanced Storytelling (3 credits)
1. Students would be considered for credit transfer based on their previous studies in AD/HD programs and their academic performance.
2. *Students not meeting the equivalent standard of the Undergraduate Degree LCR will be required to take degree LCR subjects.
Brief programme outline
Programme Code 73432
Mode of Study Full-time
Fund Type Government-funded
Normal Duration 2 years
Credit Required for Graduation* 64
Tuition HK$42,100 per academic year
* This is a two-year full-time top-up degree programme for local applicants. The normal credit required for graduation of this programme is 64. Students not meeting the equivalent standard of the Undergraduate Degree Language Communication Requirements (LCR) based on their previous studies in AD/HD programmes and their academic performance will be required to take additional 3 to 9 credits of English and/or Chinese language subject(s) on top of the normal credit requirements.
Graduates may apply for membership in professional bodies such as:
• Hong Kong Designers Association
• The Chartered Society of Designers, UK
• Association for Computing Machinery SIGGRAPH (Special Interest Group on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques)
Dr. Henry Ma — Associate Professor, PhD (HK PolyU), MBA (Leicester), MA (Leicester), Adv. Dip (HKAPA), AES
Henry Ma currently serves as Associate Dean of School of Design, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Guest Professor of the Beijing Film Academy and Visiting Professor of the Tianjin Academy of Fine Arts. In 2007, he obtained the 1st Hong Kong Digital Entertainment Industry Person of the Year Award (Digital Entertainment Education Category). With his active participation in the creative media industry, he has been involved in the design and production of stage, film and TV projects.
Henry graduated from School of Technical Arts of the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts, School of Management of the University of Leicester, and the Centre for Mass Communication Research of the University of Leicester. Henry is a member of the Audio Engineering Society, Broad Member of the Hong Kong ACM SIGGRAPH Professional Chapter and Vice-Chairman (Education) of the Hong Kong Digital Entertainment Association. With his substantial experiences in the industry, he served as panel members of the Hong Kong ICT Awards, the Hong Kong Film Award, the Hong Kong Independent Short Film and Video Award, the Hong Kong Digital Entertainment Excellence Award, and the Project Grants distributed by the Hong Kong Arts Development Council, Film and Media Arts Committee.
A Higher Diploma, an Associate Degree in a relevant discipline from a recognized institution.
Offer preference may be given to applicants who has satisfied the minimum English language requirement.
A complete application includes
Interested applicants may obtain updated program information at Study@PolyU and obtain application materials and make on-line application. Shortlisted applicants will be required to attend an aptitude test and/or an interview.
Application period is from 15 December 2015 to 22 February 2016, which will normally NOT be extended.