Bobby graduated from Jiangnan University in 2011 and her major was Visual Communication as a bachelor. Then she graduated from University of the Arts London in 2013 and got a Master degree, with a major Graphic Design Communication. Bobby has one year working experience in Guangzhou Sandu culture media Co. Ltd. and Lingyan culture media Co. Ltd. as graphic designer. One of her projects named “Happiness Surgery” has been shortlisted in the 2013 Design Shanghai Exhibition.
A framework for culture based Design innovation for the protection and development of intangible cultural heritages.
About the Research
As a design student for more than five years, in my view, a good design work always demonstrates the significance or spirit of traditional culture. “China is important to the world because it is one of mankind’s great storehouses of beauty, wisdom, and experience.” Said Helen G. Matthew. As far as I know, traditional culture heritages are disappearing in our daily life gradually. Protecting culture heritages is an important issue for designers who are responsible for the creation of new things that we use and interact with. Combining modern design thinking with traditional art elements to increase awareness of protecting intangible culture heritages is an important topic for design research. The objectives of this proposed study are:
- To establish a deep understanding of the methods, significance and social values (practical value, artistic value and scientific value) of Shaanxi’s traditional crafts;
- To identify the evolving cultural elements in the intangible culture heritages that can be translated, transformed and transcended through design innovation; That is, to establish a framework supporting the preservation of intangible culture heritages and product design innovation through an integration of historic knowledge and modern design techniques;
- To help the traditional craftsmen and women realize the importance of protecting traditional culture and preserving the knowledge and skills that can be utilized by young designers;
- To use design innovation methods to create innovative new designs such as mobile applications, exhibitions and to furniture to bring traditional culture to our daily life for the enhancement of lives of those folk artists as well as those involved in the product innovation and collaboration.
- To identify the strategies that can be realized to encourage young designers who living in cities to practice design utilizing more culture elements and intangible cultural heritages.