PhD, MFA, MSc, BSc(Hons)
User experience: interpretation, emotion, imagination, reflection, etc.
Persuasive design, reflective design, cognitive design
Kenny K. N. Chow obtained a Ph.D. in Digital Media at the Georgia Institute of Technology. He also received an M.F.A. degree from the City University of Hong Kong and an M.Sc. degree and a B.Sc. degree from the University of Hong Kong.
- Animation, Embodiment, and Digital Media: Human Experience of Technological Liveliness (ISBN:978-1-137-28307-8), 232 pages, 30 figures, 65,000 words (approx.), over 100 references, published by Palgrave Macmillan, September 2013.
- Multimedia Rules: Rethinking Design Principles (ISBN: 978-988-17489-8-0), co-authored with Violet Chan and Alex Ho, 132 pages, over 60 color and 30 b/w illustrations, CD-ROM included, published by the SD Press, 2009.
“Designing Swing Compass with Liveliness: From Personal to Public Interactions,” Proceedings of TEI 2017 (Tangible and Embedded Interaction 2017), ACM Press, March 2017.
“Swing Compass: A Metaphorical and Embodied Approach to Structuring Choices for User Reflection,” Information Design Journal John Benjamins Publishing, 2016.
“Lock Up the Lighter: Experience Prototyping of a Lively Reflective Design for Smoking Habit Control” in PERSUASIVE 2016 (Eds.) Alexander Meschtscherjakov, Boris De Ruyter, Verena Fuchsberger, Martin Murer, and Manfred Tscheligi, LNCS vol. 9638, Springer, pp. 352-364, 2016.
- “Provoking Imagination and Emotion with a Lively Mobile Phone: A User Experience Study” (co-authored with D. Fox Harrell et al.) Interacting with Computers, Oxford University Press, 2015.
- “Designing and Analyzing Swing Compass: A Lively Interactive System Provoking Imagination and Affect for Persuasion” (co-authored with D. Fox Harrell et al.) PERSUASIVE 2015 (Eds.) MacTavish and S. Basapur, LNCS 9072, Springer, pp. 107–120, 2015.
- “A Cognitive and Interpretive Approach to Imaginative and Affective User Experiences: Two Empirical Studies of Lively Interactive Artifacts,” Proceedings of IASDR (International Association of Societies of Design Research) 2015 INTERPLAY, November 2015.
- “Sharing Imagination And Emotion Through The Use Of Lively Interactive Products,” Proceedings of 9th International Design and Emotion Conference, October 2014.
- “Elastic Anchors for Imaginative Conceptual Blends: A Framework for Analyzing Animated Computer Interfaces” (co-authored with D. Fox Harrell) in Language and the Creative Mind (ISBN: 9781575866710) (Eds) Michael Borkent, Barbara Dancygier, and Jennifer Hinnell, Center for the Study of Language and Information Publications, December 2013.
- “From Haiku, Handscroll, to Tezuka: Refocusing Space and Camera in the Narrative of Animation” in Japanese Animation: East Asian Perspectives (ISBN: 978-1-61703-809-9) (Eds) Masao Yokota and Tze-yue G. Hu, University Press of Mississippi, July 2013.
- "Toward Intimacy in User Experience: Enduring Interaction in the Use of Computational Objects," Proceedings of 8th International Design and Emotion Conference 2012, September 2012.
- “Toward Holistic Animacy: Digital Animated Phenomena Echoing East Asian Thoughts,” Animation: An Interdsicplinary Journal (peer-reviewed, ISSN: 1746-8477, A&HCI), July 2012.
- “Understanding Material-Based Imagination: Cognitive Coupling of Animation and User Action in Interactive Digital Artworks” (co-authored with D. Fox Harrell) Leonardo Electronic Almanac (peer reviewed, ISSN: 1071-4391), Volume 17, Issue 2, Leonardo/ISAST, January 2012.
- “Puppeteerly Animation: Animation Becoming Live on Digital Platforms,” Animation Journal, Volume 19, Special Issue: Animation on the Fly, p.4-19, AJ Press, 2011.
- "Enduring Interaction: An Approach to Analysis and Design of Animated Gestural Interfaces in Creative Computing Systems" (co-authored with D. Fox Harrell) Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Creativity and Cognition, November 2011.
- "Embodying Generative Visual Renku: An Approach to Generating Metaphors through Interactions" (co-authored with D. Fox Harrell) Proceedings of GA2010, the 13th Generative Art Conference, December 2010.
- "The Spiritual-Functional Loop: Animation Redefined in the Digital Age," in Animation: An Interdisciplinary Journal, Volume 4, Issue 1, March 2009, p.77-89, Sage Publications.
- "Operating Text and Transcending Machine: Toward an Interdisciplinary Taxonomy of Media Works," published in LEONARDO, Volume 41, Issue 4, August 2008, p.373-378, the MIT Press.
Chow also has extensive practical experience in graphic design, animation, and film production for over ten years. His film projects include international collaborative movies The Moon (2009) and TICKETS (2007), which were selected and screened in the 6th Hong Kong Asian Film Festival 2009 and the 31st Hong Kong International Film Festival 2007 respectively.