PhD, MFA, MSc, BSc(Hons)
I am interested in the influences of "lively" artifacts, interfaces, and evironments embodied by technologies on individual's interpretation, emotion, imagination, reflection, motivation, and behavior.
Kenny K. N. Chow obtained a Ph.D. in Digital Media at the Georgia Institute of Technology. He also received an M.F.A. degree from the City University of Hong Kong and an M.Sc. degree and a B.Sc. degree from the University of Hong Kong.
- Animation, Embodiment, and Digital Media: Human Experience of Technological Liveliness (ISBN:978-1-137-28307-8), 232 pages, 30 figures, 65,000 words (approx.), over 100 references, published by Palgrave Macmillan, September 2013.
- Multimedia Rules: Rethinking Design Principles (ISBN: 978-988-17489-8-0), co-authored with Violet Chan and Alex Ho, 132 pages, over 60 color and 30 b/w illustrations, CD-ROM included, published by the SD Press, 2009.
- Chow K.K.N. (2018) "Time Off: Designing Lively Representations as Imaginative Triggers for Healthy Smartphone Use." PERSUASIVE 2018. LNCS 10809. Springer.
- Tan, L., Chow, K.K.N. (2018) "An Embodied Approach to Designing Meaningful Experiences with Ambient Media." Multimodal Technologies and Interaction. 2018, 2(2).
- Chow K.K.N., Xi, X. (2017) "Mapping Semantics of Designed Artfiacts and Chinese Ideographs with Blends." International Journal of Cultural and Creative Industries. 2017, 4(3).
- Chow K.K.N. (2017) “Designing Swing Compass with Liveliness: From Personal to Public Interactions.” Proceedings of TEI 2017 (Tangible and Embedded Interaction 2017). ACM Press.
- Chow K.K.N. (2016) “Swing Compass: A Metaphorical and Embodied Approach to Structuring Choices for User Reflection.” Information Design Journal. 2016, 22(3). John Benjamins Publishing.
- Chow K.K.N. (2016) “Lock Up the Lighter: Experience Prototyping of a Lively Reflective Design for Smoking Habit Control.” PERSUASIVE 2016. LNCS 9638. Springer.
- Chow K.K.N., Harrell D.F., Wong K.Y., Kedia A. (2016) “Provoking Imagination and Emotion with a Lively Mobile Phone: A User Experience Study” Interacting with Computers. 2016, 28(4). Oxford University Press.
- Chow K.K.N., Harrell D.F., Wong K.Y. (2015) “Designing and Analyzing Swing Compass: A Lively Interactive System Provoking Imagination and Affect for Persuasion.” PERSUASIVE 2015. LNCS 9072. Springer.
- Chow K.K.N., Harrell D.F., Wong K.Y., Kedia A. (2015) “A Cognitive and Interpretive Approach to Imaginative and Affective User Experiences: Two Empirical Studies of Lively Interactive Artifacts.” Proceedings of IASDR (International Association of Societies of Design Research) 2015 INTERPLAY.
- Chow K.K.N. (2014) “Sharing Imagination And Emotion Through The Use Of Lively Interactive Products,” Proceedings of 9th International Design and Emotion Conference.
- Chow K.K.N., Harrell D.F. (2013) “Elastic Anchors for Imaginative Conceptual Blends: A Framework for Analyzing Animated Computer Interfaces." Language and the Creative Mind (ISBN: 9781575866710) (Eds) Michael Borkent, Barbara Dancygier, and Jennifer Hinnell, Center for the Study of Language and Information Publications.
- Chow K.K.N. (2013) “From Haiku, Handscroll, to Tezuka: Refocusing Space and Camera in the Narrative of Animation.” Japanese Animation: East Asian Perspectives (ISBN: 978-1-61703-809-9) (Eds) Masao Yokota and Tze-yue G. Hu, University Press of Mississippi.
- Chow K.K.N. (2012) "Toward Intimacy in User Experience: Enduring Interaction in the Use of Computational Objects." Proceedings of 8th International Design and Emotion Conference.
- Chow K.K.N. (2012) “Toward Holistic Animacy: Digital Animated Phenomena Echoing East Asian Thoughts.” Animation: An Interdsicplinary Journal, Sage Publishing.
- Chow K.K.N., Harrell D.F. (2012) “Understanding Material-Based Imagination: Cognitive Coupling of Animation and User Action in Interactive Digital Artworks.” Leonardo Electronic Almanac, 17(2). Leonardo/ISAST.
- Chow K.K.N. (2011) “Puppeteerly Animation: Animation Becoming Live on Digital Platforms.” Animation Journal, 19, Special Issue: Animation on the Fly. AJ Press.
- Chow K.K.N., Harrell D.F. (2011) "Enduring Interaction: An Approach to Analysis and Design of Animated Gestural Interfaces in Creative Computing Systems" Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Creativity and Cognition.
- Chow K.K.N., Harrell D.F. (2010) "Embodying Generative Visual Renku: An Approach to Generating Metaphors through Interactions." Proceedings of GA2010, the 13th Generative Art Conference.
- Chow K.K.N. (2009) "The Spiritual-Functional Loop: Animation Redefined in the Digital Age." Animation: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 4(1), Sage Publishing.
- Chow K.K.N. (2008) "Operating Text and Transcending Machine: Toward an Interdisciplinary Taxonomy of Media Works." LEONARDO, 41(4) MIT Press.
Chow also has extensive practical experience in graphic design, animation, and film production for over ten years. His film projects include international collaborative movies The Moon (2009) and TICKETS (2007), which were selected and screened in the 6th Hong Kong Asian Film Festival 2009 and the 31st Hong Kong International Film Festival 2007 respectively.